Saturday, October 9, 2010

Shenandoah National Park

After the Pumpkin Patch... B decided on an impromptu visit to Shenandoah National Park to see the fall foliage. With soccer and everything else going on, he figured this free afternoon might be our only chance to make it down there. And our location at the pumpkin patch put us about 20-30 minutes closer than from at home. So we continued west.

The colors weren't the reds and oranges that we were hoping for, but still beautiful yellows and the beginnings of reds here and there. On the way towards the mountains, Buddy kept asking, "are these hills yet?" And when he spotted a mountain in the distance he said, "Whoa, look at that giant hill!!" I guess moving from Kansas to a flat part of Virginia has messed with our kids' sense of what defines mountains and hills. Oh, and Little Guy calls fancy fountain water features in man-made lakes "mountains" instead of fountains.



Our first scenic overlook.


Driving in the car.


Second overlook.


Family shadows (minus Buddy who had run ahead too far).


Same overlook, we hiked up a tiny bit to a rock cliff.
Notice the kids by the "watch your kids" sign. Apparently, when they want the picture taken, they know how to hold still and smile at the camera.



Our third and final overlook. Obviously, my camera didn't do this sunset justice. It was gorgeous.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

What beautiful pictures of the fall, the trees and the outdoors. I miss that about the East coast, we don't get much of a fall here and it certainly isn't scenic or pretty. I also love your pumpkin patch pictures...I miss going to the pumpkin patch with all of our friends in Kansas. There is a little one here, but it is only open on the weekend and not many people go to it. Glad you are enjoying your fall!

RightHahn said...

It looks beautiful! I like your collages too:)