
The kids were super excited for tonight because it was the ward Halloween party/carnival/chili cook-off/costume parade/trunk-or-treat. All squished into one incredibly long and crowded event.
But with it comes... the unveiling of costumes, and how their costumes came about:
Princess Sparkley as Pippi Longstocking
complete with freshly dyed (6-12 washes) red hair
PS wanted to be a character from a novel last year too, but picks books that only 6-8 year old girls have read and know about. This year, she actually wanted to be Annika, Pippi's best friend, and I had to explain that Annika was just a normal girl, like PS already is. She was very happy at the end of the night when she told me lots of grown-ups knew who she was. But with that comes the unspoken... not many kids did and she had to explain it a lot. Oh well, she loved it. AND, she won the "silliest costume" award, a little trophy, for her age group. Her dress is an oversized shirt from Walmart ($5) and mismatched socks from
Buddy as an Army Guy
Buddy was almost a UPS man again this year. And almost a pizza delivery man. But he finally decided on an army guy. I chose to buy him actual camouflage clothing, rather than a costume. So after Halloween, his Old Navy shirt ($8 ish),
Little Guy as COOKIE Monster
Little Guy wouldn't agree to any costume. Finally we settled on trying to convince him to be a cookie. He turned that into, he being Cookie Monster and Daddy being the cookie. And Daddy agreed. I ordered his hat on Etsy ($8), bought Cookie colored sweat pants at Walmart ($3) and turned a Jayhawk shirt inside out and pinned a scrap fabric Cookie Monster mouth to it. Then we went to work teaching him to say, "COOOKKIIEES" in a funny deep voice. He can also sing, "C is for cookie..." I'll have to film it all. He did a great job at the trunk-or-treat and said trick-or-treat and thank you to everyone (which my older kids were always shy about doing at his age) and I even got him to tell one guy "Cccoookkiiess."
And Daddy as a COOKIE.
Two hula hoops. Tan fabric. Brown fabric. Iron on sticky stuff. Packing tape. A glue gun.

Oh, and I won "most original chili." This makes two years running my chili has won (different recipes, different categories).
1 comment:
Nicely done! Everyone looks great! I like Little Guy's hat. I wish I had one like it for Owen. He was a crab and I couldn't get him to wear his eyes. Although he might have been mistaken for Elmo being all red.
Post a Comment