Princess Sparkley I know has been to the Ventura County Fair in California. And maybe Buddy. But she was three when we moved, and he wasn't yet 1 1/2, so neither remember it. A few days ago I asked Buddy what he expected to see there and he answered, "elephants." PS corrected him, "You're thinking of a circus." So they might have had high expectations going in, but they still had fun.
I think the most enjoyable part was walking through all the animals stalls. We started off with the petting farm area. I asked PS if she wanted to go in. Maybe. I asked Buddy. He said maybe. I asked Little Guy, he said yes. So we all went in. Little guy refused to touch any animal and was a little freaked out by the experience. The big kids and I all pet a sheep, a goat, a pig, a cow, a weird chicken and a bunny. Little Guy pet the bunny. Then we toured through the miniature animals (our favorite part*), sheep, goats, pigs and cows. Then we moved onto rabbits and chickens (our other favorite part). PS would like a pet bunny. We also got to see some chicks, baby ducks, and baby turkeys (as well as grown turkeys).

*The top two middle pictures are a Miniature Zebu... the cutest thing ever. It's a cow, basically, but the size of a small sheep. You can get a better idea of its size when you see Buddy in the picture with it. Little Guy liked all of the smaller animals. He'd yell out "there's a little goat!" He told B when we got home that his favorite part was the "animals" and when I was taking him up to bed he said his favorite part was the piggies with their noses sticking out. The top left hand picture. Their noses are sticking out of their pen onto the walking by area.
We made our way through the displays of flowers, produce, artwork, photographs and baked goods. PS has great plans to decorate a cupcake and bake something for next year. Buddy would like to draw a picture (although there were some great Lego creations on display as well). This part was perfect timing because it started pouring rain just as we left the rabbit exhibit.
Then we battled our way through more rain and bought a funnel cake to share at a picnic table under an awning. The food there all smelled SO good. I kept walking around saying, "Mmm... that smells like a really good burger." Or, "Mmm... onion rings." But we settled on a funnel cake to share. I asked them to pick between a funnel cake or elephant ears (neither of which have they ever seen, had or heard of).
Our last stop, after seeing the rabbits and chickens again, was the 4-H tent where they did a bunch of crafts, many involving paint, so I was glad it was last and I didn't have to carry around wet paint for too long.
We skipped the rides because as much as they wanted to ride them, they aren't brave enough to go without me and Little Guy isn't tall enough to ride any (plus I'm not sure if he can with his heart... all the rides have little signs about medical conditions). We just walked around and looked at them (all mostly empty due to the weather).
As we loaded everyone into the car, the load speaker announced that the fair was closing early today due to rain and weather. Overall, not the "best in the state" fair I'd seen advertised, but for $8 plus a funnel cake, a fun few hours. And it was empty because of the weather, so I'm much happier to have come today than yesterday when it was $2 day.
No comments:
Post a Comment