Monday, January 10, 2011

The Family That Doesn't Pay Attention in Church Stays Together

by B

About a year ago, I drew a comic for our kids during sacrament meeting. It told the story of a dinosaur attacking a church, and two children who were eaten because they couldn't sit still. I've looked all over the house this week, but I can't find it. It's like Fermat's Last Theorem: you'll just have to believe me that it was awesome.

This started a comic-drawing trend in our family. At first, they were church-themed, as shown in this comic drawn by my daughter Princess Sparkley.

In the first panel, a girl is excited to be baptized. In the second panel, the baptism is occurring. (No one filled PS in on the whole "don't depict a baptism" controversy.) In the third panel, the girl is drying off. In the fourth panel, she's bearing testimony of how she felt after her baptism. In the fifth panel, she's enjoying the refreshments. In the sixth panel, she's receiving a new journal, and in the seventh panel, she's recording her feelings. In the eighth panel she's in bed asleep (under a bed canopy), smiling as she remembers her baptism in her dream.

A few weeks later, Princess Sparkley drew the squares, labeled the paper "A Good Comic By Dad" (which is why all my subsequent efforts bear that subtitle), and passed it to me. And this is what we got.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't poking fun at PS for not singing the hymns. I wasn't. See, a total lie.

Next, she came out with this effort, which was so hard to understand, that I created a panel-by-panel translation for her.

As you can see, our subject matter quickly went downhill. From baptisms to dogs eating stinky diapers. I'm not going to say I wasn't proud.

No comments: