Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 3- Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat'l Park



Day 3 was another long drive and another National Park. We got detoured off a US highway and ended up in the middle of cowboys on horses herding cows. I could have reached out my window and touched a cow... I settled for taking their pictures.





Mid-afternoon we arrived at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in southwestern Colorado, enjoyed the beautiful view, drove on 8 and 10% grades* (Slum Gullion Pass) and the kids became Junior Forest Rangers.

Late Sunday night we arrived up Cedar Mountain, saw a million deer, and met my parents in Duck Creek Village where we then followed them down dirt roads and through three locked gates to reach the new cabin. There will, of course, be more pictures and more posts... I just have to clean up some of my messy house first.

*The steepest grades B and I have ever seen, we had to stop and let our brakes cool off at one point.

No comments: