Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Island

B's parents are both from Pittsburgh, PA and his maternal grandparents and uncles still live there.  Before I realized we'd be driving home on the Fourth of July, I suggested we call his grandma and see if we could stop in for an hour or so as we drove through Pittsburgh on the way home.  They weren't home, but were at their island cottage (still right in Pittsburgh) and were thrilled that we'd stop by.  I've only met these grandparents three times.  Once in California when we were first married (Nov/Dec 2001).  Once in Pittsburgh when we drove all night there and back from Kansas to attend B's paternal grandmother's funeral (Sept 2006).  And once, when B's parents were living in St. Louis they came to St. Louis to visit and drove over to B's brother's house in Kansas one day and we met them there (May 2009).  B hadn't been to the island since he was 12 or 14.   And I'd never met the Uncle and Aunt who were at the cottage when we arrived (meaning B hadn't seen them since he was 14 or so).

The kids were thrilled that we had to take a ferry across the river.  Little Guy kept saying, "this is my first boat ride.  It's bigger than Aunt H's kayak."  B's uncle took the kids down to the water and they tried to attract some ducks with pieces of bread.  It was a quick little visit but I'm glad we stopped.

1 comment:

Heather Payne said...

Hey, Little Guy! No trash talking about my kayaks! Maybe we could hook up a motor to the them so I can get back in his good graces. :-)

Glad you guys had fun.